NAMI Basics Education Programs
* Information * Insight *
*Understanding * Empowerment *
IMPORTANT NOTICE: NAMI programs should not be used to replace the specialized training and professional judgment of mental health professionals. We cannot, and will not, assume the role of a physician or therapist. NAMI cannot be held responsible for the use of the information we provide. Please always consult a trained mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment for yourself or others.
What is NAMI Basics Education
NAMI Basics is a six-session educational program designed for parents and other family caregivers of children and adolescents with emotional and behavioral difficulties. NAMI Basics helps parents and other family caregivers of children to understand the illnesses that are causing those behavioral difficulties. In addition to treatment information, guidance will be given on locating appropriate supports and services. Participants gain the knowledge and skills needed to cope effectively with the impacts that mental illness has on their child and family as they gain tools for making the best decisions possible for their child’s care. The program is taught by trained teachers who are also the parents or family caregivers of individuals who experienced emotional or behavioral difficulties prior to age 13. NAMI Yolo offers this class at no cost to participants.
What You’ll Gain
At NAMI Basics, you’ll find out that you’re not alone. The group setting of NAMI Basics provides mutual support and shared positive impact—you can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. You also can help others with your own experience.
NAMI Basics covers:
- Managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively
- How to take care of yourself and handle stress
- Developing the confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion
- Advocating for your child’s rights at school and in health care settings
- Learning about current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- Gaining an overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems
- Understanding the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on your entire family
Please note that registration is required as numbers are limited.